Oh the wonders of traveling. Most all of us dream to travel. We feel it in our throats, our hearts, our fingers. But our bank accounts say ‘No’ and we live vicariously through our friends who are making their way around the world and pretentiously updating their Instagram. Sound familiar? Well guess what, we’ve got good news for you. You can travel! But you’ve got to change your spending routines and really pinch those dollars and pennies.
You don’t have to win the lottery to plan a trip overseas. Here are five ways you can save for your dream trip:
1) Set up a separate Travel Savings Account: Have a separate account dedicated to your travel helps you see the progress you’re making for your trip. Set up an automatic withdrawal from a separate account into your Travel account even if it’s as little as $50 a month.
2) Separate the ‘Want’ vs. the ‘Need’: Do you really need that $6 Vanilla Latte? Do really need another Kate Spade purse? Be conscious of the money you’re spending whether it’s something as simple as a latte, or as extravagant as a purse, think about what is necessary and what is not.
3) Find new ways of making money: With the advent of social media, there are SO many ways we can all make a little bit of money. For example, if you’re into fashion, start a blog, master Instagram, reach out to small boutiques and offer to model their clothes. Not much of a social media person? Look into tutoring, waitressing, bartending, etc. The sky is the limit.
4) Choose a credit card with traveling benefits: Here’s a good article that outlines the best traveling credit cards that can rack up free dollars when spending money on things you would’ve spent money on anyway.
5) Develop and stick to a super-saving mission mentality: This is possibly the most important advice we can give you. If you ever lose sight of your traveling dreams, you’ll lose sight of how you’re spending, and your travel plans will slip right through your fingers.